Harbin. View of Church of Our Lady of Evel
Only 1 left in stock
Harbin. Church of Our Lady of Evel postcard.
Issuer: TAISHO. P.T. & Co., Japan.
The Temple in honor of the Iveron Icon of the Mother of God on Officer Street ( Chinese: 哈尔滨圣·伊维尔教堂) is an inactive Orthodox church in Harbin , built in 1907-1908 in the style of Yaroslavl churches of the 17th century . Until its closure in 1962, it was not only a place of worship, but also a pantheon of Russian military glory, and a monument of Russian history and culture. Nowadays it is the oldest of all surviving Orthodox churches in Harbin.
From 1957 until its closure it was under the jurisdiction of the Chinese Orthodox Church. It was closed in the early 1960s and remains inactive to this day. From 2007 to 2016, activists of the Russian Club in Harbin held cleanup days near the walls of the temple: they removed garbage, planted flowers in makeshift flower beds, surrounded by pieces of broken red brick. After many years of neglect, the church was restored from 2016 to 2018 by the efforts of Chinese specialists, but the appearance of the temple is still far from fully consistent with its historical appearance. Negotiations are underway to resume worship services there.